Sport beans performed as well as gels and sport drinks in a simulated 10K cycle race following an endurance ride, and significantly better than water alone.
Summary of the study:
Reference: Campbell C., Prince D., Braun M., Applegate E., & Casazza G.A.
- 16 healthy non-smoking, male and female cyclists and triathletes participated in the study and varied between the ages of 23 and 45.
- The participants completed a series of four 10-kilometer time trials while ingesting one of three different kinds of carbohydrate supplements (including Sport Beans) or water alone.
- The athletes achieved 32-38 second faster times in the trial with Sport Beans rather than water alone.
- In addition, the athletes completed the time trials with the highest average "power outputs" with Sport Beans Energizing Jelly Beans.
- Click here to read the full results.
Carbohydrate-Supplement Form and Exercise Performance. International Journal Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 18:179-190, 2008